Our collections of books, graphics, manuscripts, coins, medals and paintings of Martin Luther, the history of the Reformation and its reception offer unrivalled variety.
The collections trace their origin all the way back to 1693, when a memorial was established in Luther’s Birthplace in Eisleben. The collection of the Luther House in Wittenberg was created in preparation for its transformation into a museum in 1883.
A beginning was made with the collections of the Dean of Halberstadt Cathedral, Christian Friedrich Bernhardt Augustin, a gift from the Prussian King to the Luther House in Wittenberg in 1860, and a collection of prints from Karl Knaake, the initiator of the Weimar edition of Luther's works. The collection has been continuously expanded ever since.