Wittenberg Luther HouseBegun in 1504, the Luther House was originally built as an Augustinian monastery. It was the centre of Luther’s activity for more than thirty-five years. He lived here as a monk upon his arrival in Wittenberg in September 1508, and he continued to live here with his family after 1525. His theological breakthrough took place here, he lectured to students from throughout Europe here, and it was here that he created the texts that would change the world. The Luther House has been open to visitors as a museum since 1883; today, it is the world’s largest museum for the history of the Reformation.
Please note: Due to construction work the Luther House will be closed from 29th August 2016 until 3rd March 2017.